A spreadsheet is a computer application for organization, analysis and storage of data in tabular form. The program operates on data entered in cells of a table. Each cell contains either numeric or text data or the results of formulas that automatically calculate and display a value based on the contents of other cells.
Other than performing arithmetic and mathematical functions, modern spreadsheets provide built-in functions for common financial and statistical operations. Such calculations as net present value or standard deviation can be applied to tabular data with a pre-programmed function in a formula. Spreadsheet programs also provide conditional expressions, functions to convert between text and numbers and functions that operate on strings of text.
What You Need To Know About Spreadsheet
- A spreadsheet is an interactive computer application for managing the data in a proper way, analyzing it and storing the information in tabular form.
- A spreadsheet shows a collection of worksheets that combine to form a workbook.
- Spreadsheet can be a single worksheet or multiple worksheets.
- A spreadsheet is more like a file or workbook. Scrolling through the worksheet displays different parts of it on the screen.
- Data such as numbers, formulas and text are stored in a spreadsheet.
- Modern spreadsheet software can have multiple interacting sheets and can display data either as text and numerals or in graphical form.
- Other than basic arithmetic and mathematical operations, modern spreadsheets provide built-in functions for common financial and statistical operations.
A worksheet or simply sheet is a single page in a file created with an electronic spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. A worksheet comprise of rows, columns and cells. In each cell the user can enter a number, date, text, math formula or Excel function. Worksheets can also display selected data in one of a variety of chart types.
The primary storage unit for data in a worksheet is a rectangular-shaped cell arranged in a grid pattern in every sheet. Individual cells of data are identified and organized using the vertical column letters and horizontal row numbers of a worksheet, which create a cell reference such as A1, D20 or Z567.
Worksheet specifications for current version of Excel include:
- 1, 048, 576 rows per worksheet
- 16, 384 columns per worksheet
- 17, 179, 869, 184 cells per sheet
- A limited number of sheets per file based on the amount of memory available on computer.
For Google Sheet:
- 256 columns per sheet
- 400, 000 cells for all worksheets in a file
- 200 worksheets per spreadsheet file
What You Need To Know About Worksheet
- A worksheet is a collection of cells organized in rows and columns to keep and manipulate the data.
- Worksheet is one page present within the workbook.
- Worksheet is always a single sheet.
- A worksheet begins with row number one and column A. Each cell can contain a number, text or formula. A cell can also reference another cell in the same worksheet, the same workbook or different workbook.
- Cells may contain three types of data: label, values and formulas.
- The text or label entered in a cell identifies the worksheet data and helps organize the worksheet.