What is VoLTE?
VoLTE is a feature that allows the users to make phone calls without having to switch networks. VoLTE stands for Voice over LTE which pretty much sums up what it is about. Instead of the traditional circuit switching, the voice is transferred through data packets. This allows you to use the internet and make phone calls simultaneously. This also improves the quality of the call.
You can download a movie or browse web pages way faster on an LTE network. When the VoLTE feature is activated, a user will be able to place a phone call without disrupting your internet. This was not an option when you had to call someone over a 2G or 3G connection.
A call that is being made making use of the VoLTE feature to a phone which also has the same activated will take less than a second. On traditional networks, calls take around seven and about four when it is between 3G and LTE.
What you need to know about VoLTE
- The full form of’ VoLTE stands for Voice over Long Term Evolution.
- VoLTE(voice over LTE) is a technology wherein you can send data and voice simultaneously over the network without reducing the quality of the voice.
- VoLTE allows calls to be connected more quickly. Additionally, it works well on high frequencies as well.
- The users need not have an external software to make video calls but just phone number is required to video call anybody.
What is LTE?
LTE stands for Long-Term Evolution and is widely used in India, it is a step above the CDMA and GSM standards of yesteryears. LTE is the quickest and widely available platform for data transfer. LTE is able to provide a download speed of about 100 Mbps and an upload speed of about 50 Mbps.
In the case of 2G and 3G networks, users cannot make calls and use internet data at the same time. When a call is being made, the phone automatically shuts down data services. However, this is not the case when it comes to calls made through the LTE network, voice calls can still be made without turning the data connection off. Although the quality of the calls will reduce considerably. So, in order to make a phone call of good quality, you will have to switch off your data services.
What you need to know about LTE
- The full form of LTE is Long Term Evolution.
- LTE provide high speed wireless communication standard for mobile devices and data terminals.
- With LTE, when the user makes a voice call while maintaining the data connection, the voice quality may be reduced.
- There are number of LTE technologies, classified into different generations. The letter ‘G’ denotes the generation, there are 3G, 4G etc. and the main difference is speed and data optimization.
Also Read: Difference Between 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G And 5G
Difference Between LTE And VOLTE In Tabular Form
|It was launched in 2012.
|It was launched in 2016.
|LTE stands for long term evolution.
|VoLTE stands for voice over long term evolution.
|The users need to have external software to make video calls on LTE networks such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and Skype.
|The users need not have an external software to make video calls but just phone number is required to video call anybody.
|In case it supports data and voice call together the quality of voice calling is not good.
|While it supports HD quality voice calling while using data services.
|It may or may not support voice calls and data services together.
|It supports voice calls and data services together.
|It targets increasing data rates on the 4G bandwidth only.
|It targets both internet data and voice calling without affecting each other.
|It takes around 7 seconds to connect a call on 3G networks.
|It connects the users only in a second if both users are on the VoLTE network.
|It turns off data connection while making voice calls.
|It does not turn off data connection while making voice calls.
|Currently, it has a limited use.
|It is popular and more widely used today.
Also Read: Difference Between Hand-off And Hand-over