What Is a Servlet?
A servlet is a Java programming language class that is used to extend the capabilities of servers that host applications accessed by means of a request-response programming model. Although servlets can respond to any type of request, they are commonly used to extend the applications hosted by web servers. For such applications, Java Servlet technology defines HTTP-specific servlet classes.
What is JSP?
Jakarta Server Pages is a collection of technologies that helps software developers create dynamically generated web pages based on HTML, XML, SOAP, or other document types. Released in 1999 by Sun Microsystems, JSP is similar to PHP and ASP, but uses the Java programming language.To deploy and run Jakarta Server Pages, a compatible web server with a servlet container, such as Apache Tomcat or Jetty, is required.
Servlet Vs JSP In Tabular Form
|Basis of Comparison
|JSP is slower in terms of a compilation than Servlet as first it is translated and then complied
|Servlet is faster in terms of compiling
|JSP is a tag-based language that follows where code is written in HTML format
|Servlet is completely Java-based code
|JSP is used as showing output data in MVC(Modern Video Controller) Pattern
|Servlet plays the role of controller in the MVC pattern
|The package can be imported into the JSP program (i.e., Top, middle, or bottom)
|Packages need to be imported on the top of the program
|JSP accepts only HTTP protocol request
|all requests of protocols are accepted by Servlet.
|Implementation of logics
|With the help of JavaBeans technology, business logic can be separated from presentation logic.
|We have to implement business logic and presentation logic combined
|APIs and JavaBeans
|In JSP, the webpage makes use of JavaBeans
|Servlets have specific APIs designed for them for processing.
|We have inbuilt implicit objects (e.g. Request, config, session,out, etc.)
|Servlet doesn’t have inbuilt implicit object; if required, then it needs to be explicit from Servlet first.
|Session management is atomically enabled by default while performing programs,
|Session management is not enabled by default; we need to enable it explicitly
|In JSP, coding is easier because they are tag-based
|In Servlet, coding is difficult as compared to JSP.
|In JSP, modification of program is easy as we don’t need to restart things again from the start, it can be done in just one restart button.
|The modification takes time in Servlet because of reloading, recompilations, and restarting the server.
|Hosting and Execution
|After completing the program, first JSP files are compiled in Java Servlet, and then they are executed.
|Servlet programs are hosted and executed on web servers.
What you need to know about Servlet and JSP
- Servlet is a Java-based code and uses the java approach for functioning. is an HTML based code and comprises of a tag-based approach. JSP is an interface that rests on top of Servlets. JSPs are extensions of servlets for minimizing the efforts of developers with regards to writing user interfaces with the help of Java programming.
- Modification in case of servlets is time consuming as it incorporates the reloading, recompiling, restarting, etc. of the server.JSP modification is quick and easy to implement; only the refresh button has to be clicked.
- Servlets play the role of a controller in the MVC approach. JSP is typically a view in the MVC approach to show output.
- Servlets accept all types of protocol requests. JSP accepts only http requests.
- In Servlets, it is possible to replace the service() method. In JSP, it is not possible to override the service() method.
- In the servlet, session management is not enabled by default. JS users are responsible for allowing the same explicitly. Session management is enabled automatically in case of JSP.
- To run a Servlet, the entry of Servlet mapping has to be made into deployment descriptor file, which is the web.xml file, externally. To run JSP, there is no requirement of making an entry of Servlet mapping into web.xml files externally. Also, it is not obligatory to make an entry for the JSP file as a welcome file list.
- Servlet is written in Java and has additional APIs that are specific to its kind of processing. Servlets follow all the techniques of Object-Oriented programming. JSPs make use of Javabeans within web pages.