What Is Extension?
Extension usually refers to a component, action or process that enlarges, prolong or extend something. This is the noun form of the verb extend. Typically, there are several meanings to this word, but all these generally refer to action or process of extending something. Below are the different ways and context for usage of the word extension.
- An act or instance of extending, lengthening, stretching out or enlarging the scope of something. An example of an extension is adding a secondary story to a single story house or built a new extension onto the hospital wing.
- The state of being extended, lengthened or stretched out, e.g a four-room extension to a house.
- An additional period of time given one to meet an obligation, e.g My assignment wasn’t finished on the deadline, so I asked for an extension.
- Something that is expandable or can be extended; an extended object e.g A table with drop-leaf extensions.
- A length of electric cable which permits the use of appliances at some distance from a fixed socket.
- An addition that increases the area, influence, operation or contents of something e.g an extension for the vacuum cleaner.
- A length of human or synthetic hair attached to the scalp or to strands of hair close to the scalp to add volume, length or color.
- The amount, degree or range to which something extends or can extend: The wire has an extension of 50 feet.
- An allowance of extra time, as for the repayment of a debt.
- In programming, an extension is a file containing programming that serves to extend the capabilities of or data available to a more basic program. An extension adds extra features to already working standalone application.
- In computer operating systems, a file name extension is an optional addition to the file name in a suffix of the form ‘’xxx’’ where ‘’xxx’’ represents a limited number of alphanumeric characters depending on the operating system.
- In medicine, the word extension means, the application of traction to a fractured or dislocated limb to restore the normal position.
What Is Extention?
Extention is generally a misspelling of the word extension. Typically in English language, there is no word like extention.