HTML <Div> Tag
The div tag is known as Division tag. The div tag is used in HTML to make divisions of content in the web page like (text, images, header, footer, navigation bar, etc). In other words, the HTML <div> tag is used to group the large section of HTML elements together.
Div tag has both open(<div>) and closing (</div>) tag and it is mandatory to close the tag. The Div is the most usable tag in web development because it helps us to separate out data in the web page and we can create a particular section for particular data or function in the web pages.
We know that every tag has a specific purpose e.g. p tag is used to specify paragraph, <h1> to <h6> tag are used to specify headings but the <div> tag is just like a container unit which is used to encapsulate other page elements and divides the HTML documents into sections.
The div tag is generally used by web developers to group HTML elements together and apply CSS styles to many elements at once. For example: If you wrap a set of paragraph elements into a div element so you can take the advantage of CSS styles and apply font style to all paragraphs at once instead of coding the same style for each paragraph element.
What You Need To Know About Div Tag
- It is used for dividing the elements that are block-line, basically, line break before and after it.
- It also includes global attributes for the specified element in HTML documents.
- It also used for CSS styles.
- Sometime Paragraph tag <p> is used for inner side of the <div> tag.
- In div tag, we use borders with width and height with specified color pixels to highlight the front end document.
- Nested <div> tag is used for HTML documents with different styles.
HTML <span> tag
HTML <span> tag is used as a generic container of
inline elements. It is used for styling purpose to the grouped inline elements
(using class and id attribute or inline style). The
Span is very similar to the div tag, but div is a block-level tag and span is an inline tag. Span tag is a paired tag means it has both open (<) and closing (>) tag, and it is mandatory to close the tag. The <span> tag does not have any default meaning or rendering.
The <span> tag can be useful for the following task:
- To change the language of a part of the text.
- To change the color, font, background of a part of text using CSS
- To apply the scripts to the particular part of the text.
What You Need To Know About Span Tag
- It is used for grouping inline elements in the HTML document.
- It contains specific, global and event attributes.
- It is used for CSS styles.
- In a paragraph <span> tag is used to apply a CSS style for the particular words with the specified font sets.
- In the Span tag, we use specified color coding to highlight the front end document.
- Nested span tags will not be used for HTML documents.
Difference Between Div And Span Tag In Tabular Form
|BASIS OF COMPARISON||Div Tag||Span Tag|
|Use||HTML div element is used to wrap large sections of elements.||HTML span element is used to wrap small portion of texts, image etc.|
|Attributes||It also includes global attributes for the specified element in HTML documents.||It contains specific, global and event attributes.|
|Application||It also used for CSS styles.||It is used for CSS styles.|
|Paragraph||Sometime Paragraph tag <p> is used for inner side of the <div> tag.||In a paragraph <span> tag is used to apply a CSS style for the particular words with the specified font sets.|
|Highlighting Front End Document||In div tag, we use borders with width and height with specified color pixels to highlight the front end document.||In the Span tag, we use specified color coding to highlight the front end document.|
|Nested Tag||Nested <div> tag is used for HTML documents with different styles.||Nested span tags will not be used for HTML documents.|
|Nature||HTML div is a block element.||HTML span is an inline element.|