What is a Desktop?
A desktop computer is a personal computer designed for regular use at a single location on or near a desk due to its size and power requirements. The most common configuration has a case that houses the power supply, motherboard (a printed circuit board with a microprocessor as the central processing unit, memory, bus, certain peripherals and other electronic components), disk storage (usually one or more hard disk drives, solid state drives, optical disc drives, and in early models a floppy disk drive); a keyboard and mouse for input; and a computer monitor, speakers, and, often, a printer for output. The case may be oriented horizontally or vertically and placed either underneath, beside, or on top of a desk.
A desktop can be contained in a window that is part of the total display area or can be full screen, taking up the total display area. Users can have multiple desktops for different projects or work environments they have and can switch between them.
What You Need To Know About Desktop
- Desktops typically have a separate keyboard and mouse, and the central processing unit that is separate from the computer monitor.
- Desktops are slightly larger and thicker than Laptops.
- Desktop computers have high resolution. In a desktop computer, the standard resolution one can have is 1920×1080.
- A desktop computer is meant to keep in the office or at home. It needs the computer to be connected to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
- An average desktop has more hard drive space, a faster central processor and better graphics performance than an average laptop with a standard hardware configuration.
- Desktop computers have more powerful processors.
- PC has a large keyboard as compared to laptops.
- Desktop computers have up to 64 inches screen.
- Desktop computers are relatively cheap.
- It needs external devices to be fully functional.
- It runs only on main power supply.
- It has more powerful processor.
- Components of desktop can be easily removed.
- The number of data ports is more in desktops.
- A desktop is ordinarily preferred for graphics-intensive uses, such as gaming.
What is a Laptop?
A laptop (also known as a notebook), is an all-in-one computer that uses batteries or AC power that can last for several hours. Unlike desktops, laptop computers are easily carried and they can be used as long as the battery lasts.
Laptops are folded shut for transportation, and thus are suitable for mobile use. Its name comes from lap, as it was deemed practical to be placed on a person’s lap when being used. Today, laptops are used in a variety of settings, such as at work, in education, for playing games, web browsing, for personal multimedia, and general home computer use.
Laptops combine all the input/output components and capabilities of a desktop computer, including the display screen, small speakers, a keyboard, data storage device, sometimes an optical disc drive, pointing devices (such as a touchpad or pointing stick), with an operating system, a processor and memory into a single unit.
Most modern laptops feature integrated webcams and built-in microphones, while many also have touch-screens. Laptops can be powered either from an internal battery or by an external power supply from an AC adapter. Hardware specifications, such as the processor speed and memory capacity, significantly vary between different types, models and price points.
What You Need To Know About Laptop
- A laptop is an all-in-one machine, with the screen, keyboard and mouse built into the device.
- Laptops are slightly smaller and thinner than Desktops.
- It has a physical keyboard inbuilt.
- It has a trackpad for the inbuilt mouse.
- The laptop is lighter than the desktops. Laptops are typically designed to be around the size of a notebook when closed, so their components are smaller than the components used in desktop computers.
- Most laptops come with a low resolution like 1366×768.
- In a laptop, there are all in-built (monitor, mouse, keyboard, and many more). It can be taken anywhere. It can be transported because it comes in one complete device.
- Laptop processors have restricted power.
- Laptops have small sized keyboard so they can be carried easily.
- Laptops have a maximum of 18 inches screen.
- Laptops are expensive depending upon their types.
- While it can run on battery, AC supply and main power supply too.
- It has less powerful processor except gaming laptops.
- Components of laptops are not easily removable.
- The number of data ports is less in laptops.
Difference Between Desktop And Laptop In Tabular Form
|BASIS OF COMPARISON||DESKTOP||LAPTOP|
|Description||Desktops typically have a separate keyboard and mouse, and the central processing unit that is separate from the computer monitor.||A laptop is an all-in-one machine, with the screen, keyboard and mouse built into the device.|
|Size||Desktops are slightly larger and thicker than Laptops.||Laptops are slightly smaller and thinner than Desktops.|
|Nature||It needs external devices to be fully functional.||A laptop is an all-in-one device, does not require external devices to work.|
|Keyboard||Desktops typically have a separate keyboard and mouse.||It has a physical keyboard inbuilt.|
|Trackpad||It does not have a trackpad for the inbuilt mouse.||It has a trackpad for the inbuilt mouse.|
|Weight||Desktop is heavier than the desktops.||The laptop is lighter than the desktops.|
|Portability||A desktop computer is meant to keep in the office or at home.||Laptop can be taken anywhere. It can be transported because it comes in one complete device.|
|Graphics Performance||Desktop better graphics performance than an average laptop||Laptop has a relatively poor graphics performance than a desktop.|
|Processors||Desktop computers have more powerful processors.||It has less powerful processor except gaming laptops.|
|Screen Size||Desktop computers have up to 64 inches screen.||Laptops have a maximum of 18 inches screen.|
|Power||It runs only on main power supply.||While it can run on battery, AC supply and main power supply too.|
|Resolution||Desktop computers have high resolution. In a desktop computer, the standard resolution one can have is 1920×1080.||Most laptops come with a low resolution like 1366×768.|
|Components||Components of desktop can be easily removed.||Components of laptops are not easily removable.|
|Data Ports||The number of data ports is more in desktops.||The number of data ports is less in laptops.|
|Keyboard Size||PC has a large keyboard as compared to laptops.||Laptop has a large keyboard as compared to desktops.|
|Cost||Desktop computers are relatively cheap.||Laptops are expensive depending upon their types.|