People, who are well known to each other, may enter into each other’s personal space to make physical contact. These can be indicators of affection, trust and love towards each other. The manner in which people display affection is generally different in a public context to a private one.
In private, people in an intimate relationship or who are familiar with each other may be at ease with physical conduct and displays of affection, which may involve:
- Caressing (head, hands, arms, back and waist)
- Tickling (e.g back and waist)
- Massage (e.g neck, shoulder, back, thighs)
- Touching heads.
Bonding through intimate, non-sexual contact between close friends and family members includes but not limited to holding hands, hugging, cuddling and kissing on the cheeks.
In regard to the main difference between Cuddle and Snuggle, well, both terms describe showing affection, love, and warmth through physical contact. Although, the two words mean the same thing, there is a little distinction between the two. Snuggle is specifically used in the context of romantic and sexual engagements whereas cuddle can be used in any specific situation, be it between friends and family members or between animals and human beings etc. Both of these actions express love, warmth and affection and are done only by loved ones.
Cuddle involves two people where one is embracing the other person by wrapping his or her arms around the other person. Cuddle is often done while sitting or lying down on bed or grass. Cuddling according to studies is a form of endearment and it causes the body to release oxytocin, which is commonly referred to as feel good hormone, which increases overall happiness.
Cuddling is usually a sign of warm and affection. During the entire period of cuddling, the involved individuals come in close contact with one another in a manner depicting them as locked together. Cuddling is an act that is romantic and even sexual in nature as it is an act mostly engaged in by lovers and spouses.
However, cuddling doesn’t have to be between you and your romantic partner. It can also be between you and your baby or with another person. You can as well rub your own shoulders, hug a friend or play with your pets. A mother and child holding each other in comfortable position can be described as cuddling.
Depending on culture, context and relationship, cuddling can indicate familiarity, love, affection, friendship, brotherhood or sympathy. It can also indicate support, comfort and consolation particularly where words are insufficient.
Well, if you don’t want to be social or you don’t have a furry friend, it not over between you and cuddling. You can take a warm bath or get a massage. Feeling warm and connected by some sort of touch is enough to release oxytocin into your system and get you feeling good.
Snuggle is an English word commonly used in the United States and it describes a situation whereby one person lies in close contact with another person in attempt to draw comfort, give warmth or show affection. Snuggling can also be shared between two persons sitting somewhere in an intimate manner. Snuggle is often associated with romantic, passionate and sexual connotations.
Unlike some other types of physical contact such as hug, snuggle is normally done privately and for a longer period of time (usually lasting for a few minutes to several hours).
The most obvious benefit of snuggling is getting close to your partner in the physical sense. Snuggling can lead to fun sexy time or relaxing and loving time post sexual intercourse. Also, according to studies, snuggling enhances the release of dopamine which is an excitatory hormone that increases sexual desire.
Reasons Why Cuddling/Snuggling is Important
- Physical contact releases the feel good hormones in the brain that promotes happiness and lowers stress hormones, putting you in a better mood.
- Cuddling promotes bonding between mother and child. It is also an excellent way of connecting more strongly with a romantic partner.
- In romantic partners, it boosts sexual and relational satisfaction.
- Cuddling is a peaceful activity and therefore, the physical touch reduces anxiety.
- Cuddling improves quality and amount of sleep as well as improving cardio-respiratory homeostasis.
- Cuddling lowers inflammation and chronic body pain.
- It strengthens digestive, circulatory and gastrointestinal systems.
Snuggle Vs Cuddle: Summary
- Cuddle and snuggle practically means the same thing and there is no difference between the two other than the context of application.
- Both words describe a situation whereby two people in close physical contact are holding one another with each person’s arms wrapped around the other’s body while lying or sitting close together in a relaxed posture.
- Snuggling is an act that is romantic and even sexual in nature as it is an act mostly engaged in by lovers and spouses.
- Cuddling does not necessarily have sexual connotations and can be used in the context of mothers and children, friends and family members, animals and human beings etc. though it can as well romantic and sexual in nature.
Also Read: Difference Between Spent And Spend