What Is ASPCA?
ASPCA is an acronym for American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is a non-profit organization founded 1886 by Henry Bergh in New York City. Henry Bergh believed strongly that animals are entitled to kind and respectful treatment at the hands of human and must be protected under the law. ASPCA mission since its formation has been and will always remain providing effective means for the prevention of cruelty to animals throughout the United States.
The ASPCA often describe itself as the main humane organization in the whole of United States. Other than being involved in disaster preparedness and management ASPCA provides both local and national leadership in three important areas, which include:
- Caring for pet parents and pets
- Providing positive outcomes for at-risk animals and serving victims of animal cruelty.
- Animal recruitment.
In furtherance of its objective, ASPCA has developed initiatives and programs to care and provide for at-risk animals around the USA and in assisting individuals to care for their animals in a proper and ethical way. Some of the programs and initiatives include:
- A 24-hour Animal Poison Control Line.
- Free expert training and behavior advice
- Helping at-risk horses with the ASPCA Equine Fund.
- Creating plans for animals in times of emergency by ASPCA experts.
- Building state of the art adoption facility in New York City.
What Is SPCA?
SPCA an acronym for Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) is a nonprofit animal welfare organization, founded in England in 1824 to protect carriage horse from cruelty. In 1824 SPCA’s original name was Royal society for prevention of Cruelty to animals (RSPCA) whose activities were domiciled only in England. In furtherance of its activities globally, SPCA changed its name from RSPCA to SPCA.
Today SPCA has branches in several countries across the globe which is independent from each other. Each branch has its own findings, structure, policies under which they function, grants that they receive from the government and other partner societies and even the board of directors and the goals they want to achieve. For example, all SPCA organization around the globe campaign for animal welfare, assist in the prevention of cruelty to animals, rehabilitation and finding homes for maltreated and unwanted animals that can be reestablished into new homes. However, policies regarding animal euthanasia, handling feral cats and related issues vary from one organization to another. Example of SPCA organizations around the world includes:
- Africa: Kenya Society for the protection and care of Animals and Zimbabwe Society for the Prevention and care of Animals.
- Asia: Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Philippine Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
- Israel: The Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
- Europe: Romanian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, MSPCA in Malta and SPCA ITALIA Protezione Animali (Italy).
- UK: Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals-England and Wales.
- Canada: Canadian Federation of Humane Societies
- United States: American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Massachussetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
- Caribbean: Jamaica Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Difference Between ASPCA And SPCA In Tabular Form
|BASIS OF COMPARISON||ASPCA||SPCA|
|Description||ASPCA is an acronym for American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.||SPCA an acronym for Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA).|
|Nature Of The Organization||Welfare Nonprofit organization.||Humane Nonprofit organization.|
|Formation||ASPCA was established in 1866 in United States.||SPCA was formed in 1824 in United Kingdom.|
|Motto||ASPCA motto is “We are their voice’’.||SPCA motto is A helping hand to a brighter future’’.|
|Area Of Operation||ASPCA is restricted to protecting the rights of animals in the United States.||SPCA is an international organization which has branches all over the world.|
|Working||ASPCA works under one banner and has same aims and objectives.||SPCA has different goals and targets in each country and are not connected to each other in any way.|
|Funding||Private fund raising.||Donations and government grants.|
|Purpose||The primary purpose of ASPCA is that animals deserve to be treated with kindness and in a respectful manner by the hands of human beings and there should be proper laws to make sure that happens.||The primary purpose of SPCA is helping in making policies that can contain human beings so that they can be kind to animals.|
Similarities Between ASPCA And SPCA
- Both organizations depend on the support of other institution or organizations to perform their work effectively.
- ASPCA and SPCA have been reorganized as at both local and national level in their respective countries as leaders in the fight against cruelty against animals.
- Both organizations have similar core values.