Alpha male and beta male, or simply alpha and beta, are pseudoscientific slang terms for men derived from the designation for alpha and beta animals in ethology. Both terms have often been used in the manosphere. Generally, manosphere communities believe that men who they consider to be “alpha males” are preferred by women, and men they consider “beta males” are taken advantage of or ignored by women.
Alpha male is a word coined for male guys who are having a great deal of self-confidence. Whenever they walk around, their confidence exudes by having their head up high, abdomen inward, chest outward, and, most importantly, with their spine fully erect. With their high self-esteem, they are able to voice their opinions well. They are also able to take leadership roles and lead a group of people.
The word Beta was established as an informal term for men seen as passive and weak in the 1990s. In 1999, Naomi Wolf, then an advisor to former Vice President Al Gore, reportedly characterized her boss as a beta male who needed to demonstrate more “top dog” qualities to win the White House.
Into the 2010s, the word beta continued to mock men seen as less sexually, socially, and financially successful than their alpha counterparts. But it also took on a more specialized slang sense in the 2010s in the online incel, or involuntary celibate, community, notorious for blaming women and more conventionally masculine men for their sexual failings.
Who are the alpha Male?
The term alpha male is often incorrectly applied to any domineering man, especially bullies. Alphas are typically described as the “real or total men”. An alpha male is a man who takes charge, one who imposes his will on others, not the other way round. Other men want to be him, women want to be with him. An alpha male intimidates, he’s unquestionably in charge, no matter what the situation.
An alpha male is loud, brash, doesn’t care what anybody else thinks. An alpha male says what he wants, does what he wants, wears what he wants, as long as those clothes are roomy enough in the trousers to accommodate his gargantuan gonads and don’t dissolve in response to all the testosterone constantly leaking from his pores.
More often, Alpha males are considered to be those at the top of the social status hierarchy. They have greater access to power, money, and mates, which they gain through physical prowess, intimidation, and domination.
Traits of an alpha male
- Alpha males bravely face every challenge life throws at them. In fact, they thrive when life throws them a curveball.
- An alpha male has the ability to make tough decisions in high-pressure situations. He assesses the situation and decides the right thing to do.
- Alpha men might reach new heights of success, but their feet are firmly on the ground. They feel happy about their achievements but are not arrogant about them.
- Alpha men are go-getters. They work persistently towards their goals and never back down. Even if they stumble along the way, they get up and keep going.
- An alpha male is a thorough gentleman. He has a deep respect for women and appreciates them.
- Alpha males are natural leaders. They take charge of the situation and lead from the front. People are inspired by them and tend to follow them.
- Alpha men know their weaknesses well. They do not try to hide them in any manner. Flaws do not handicap them; instead, they work towards overcoming them.
- Alpha men are pretty upfront. This doesn’t mean they are deliberately hurtful; they call a spade a spade even if it is painful.
- Alpha men manage their emotions exceptionally well. In an emotionally charged situation, they think rationally instead of giving in to emotional outbursts.
- Alpha men are very clear about what they want in life. They work hard to achieve the goals they have set for themselves in their professional or personal lives.
- Alpha men are very particular about how they present themselves. They maintain personal hygiene, wear good clothes, and make sure they look their best.
- Alpha men are good with people. They share interesting stories and keep their audience thoroughly entertained.
Who are the Beta Male?
The term beta is used as a pejorative self-identifier among members of manosphere communities, particularly incels, who do not believe they are assertive or traditionally masculine, and feel overlooked by women. It is also used to negatively describe other men who are not assertive, particularly with women and generally in life as well.
Beta is often used alongside cuck and simp in the manosphere. The belief is that a beta male will attempt to get with women but end up friend-zoned in favor of an alpha male. Beta males are considered to be the weak, submissive, subordinate guys who are low status, and only get access to mates once women decide to settle down and go searching for a “nice guy” , “soy boy” or those that women fall for due to lack of alternative. This concept is extended to politics, where members of far-right communities accuse their political enemies of being subservient to minority groups.
Traits of a beta male
- Beta males have a big ego that may end up doing more harm than good. They care more about others’ words and opinions than their own.
- Beta males rank second on the hierarchy and that makes them a follower, not a leader. Beta males do not move first, they wait for others to do so.
- A beta male prefers to follow rather than lead. Making decisions for others or him is not a strong aspect.
- A beta male is friendly and mature and likes to help anyone who seeks his guidance or assistance.
- A beta male tries to stay away from arguments, unlike an alpha male who likes to debate and prove the point.
- A beta male neither gets into an argument nor passes derogatory comments. He either tries to solve the argument silently or stays away from it, considering it to be the best possible decision for the time being.
- A beta male is not interested in competing with others. He believes that he has nothing to prove to anyone.
- The beta male is generally characterized by their habit of consuming a lot of pop culture junk that does nothing to stimulate their brain.